A 2013 study published in the Journal of Sports Science & Medicine looked at 6 athletes who rode an exercise bike for 1 hour at 75%HRmax. Skin surface samples were taken just before, just after, and then 1 and 2 hours after the session.
The study revealed that secretory immunoglobulin A (cutaneous immunity) decreased with exercise, and staphylococci (bacteria) was increased. Defensin (an anti-microbial peptide) increased post exercises - it seems in response to the increase in staph.
The other interesting finding was that the skin was moist immediately post exercise as you would expect (and a great breeding ground for infections), however after 2 hours it was drier than normal.
The take home messages from this study for triathletes are;
- The skin’s immune defence system is decreased with exercise
- Shower as soon as possible following exercise
- Moisturise the skin frequently
- Use sports skincare products with anti-microbial ingredients to boost natural defence systems
A 2016 study published in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine found that various essential oils can effectively destroy several bacterial, fungal, and viral pathogens, with different oils better targeting different pathogens.
Applicable findings for triathletes are;
- The right essential oils can effectively fight several bacteria, fungai, and viruses
- A blend of anti-bacterial essential oils will provide broad-spectrum protection
- Some essential oils may kill drug-resistant pathogens
Premax Chamois Cream and Anti Friction Balm products have been formulated with a broad range of natural anti-bacterial essential oils to help boost the body’s response in fighting microbial invasion. We use the extremely potent tea tree oil across all these products, however each product is further boosted with at least 2 other anti-microbial essential oils.
If you’re looking to improve your performance by minimising the chance of getting saddle sores, blisters or chafing, and subsequent infections, you can have confidence that our chamois and anti friction products will;
- Keep you comfortable and chafe-free for hours
- Provide you with effective, broad spectrum anti-bacterial protection
- Condition and nourish the skin
Athlete Ambassador featured:
Rob has gained a vast array of experience in the management of musculoskeletal injuries, having consulted in a variety of settings both in Australia and the UK, including Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre, Tennis Australia and the Australian Open, Greater Western Sydney FC, Melbourne Storm, British Army, Sandringham and Werribee Football Clubs, and the Metropolitan Fire Brigade. He completed his Masters of Physiotherapy (Sports) in 2007, where he reinforced his interest in biomechanics and its relationship to the prevention and rehabilitation of acute and overuse injuries of both the upper and lower body.